Pages

Thursday, March 1, 2012

Removing the Windows Desktop Search “Windows Search Deskbar” and reverting Windows XP’s search to regular search

Those who have been frustrated with the constant prompt from Office 2007 about fast searching is not available because Windows Desktop Search is not installed would know that when we finally submit and install Windows Desktop Search, we get the annoying Windows Search Deskbar located on our taskbar:

image

This Windows Search Deskbar isn’t that big of a deal in most situations as users can just right click on their taskbar then toolbars and remove it.  When it becomes extremely annoying is when you’re in a situation where you want to disable it for all users.  I recently had to deploy a large set of Windows XP with Office 2007 virtual desktops in a Citrix XenDesktop environment and had to figure out how to remove this for all users as I worked on a master image.

In addition to this annoying search bar, I also did not like having Windows Desktop Search as the default search for Windows XP:

image

So after browsing around trying to figure out how to disable both of these, I finally found that the follow 2 registry keys were what I needed to modify:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\DesktopSearch]
"DB"=dword:00000001

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows Desktop Search\DS]
"ShowStartSearchBand"=dword:00000000

imageimage

I know I’m bound to come across this as I continue with my virtual desktop deployments in the future so I figured I’d blog it so I can reference this post in the future.

No comments: