Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

Getting function keys on Blackberry Playbook for Citrix published applications

For those who have used the Blackberry Playbook with any Citrix published applications that require the function keys would know that the Blackberry Playbook keyboard does not natively have the function keys available.  I don’t use tablets myself so I didn’t know this until one of the doctors I’ve been working with brought this to my attention as he tested the Citrix published medical applications on the Blackberry Playbook.  Since he was one of the more technically savvy doctors, he found a workaround to allow him to use the function keys and that was to use the native Windows On-Screen Keyboard:

image

After getting this workaround he’s been using from him, I went ahead and created a batch file named AS400FKey.bat with the following commands:

start "On Screen Keyboard" "C:\Windows\System32\osk.exe"
start "C:\Program Files (x86)\IBM\Client Access\Emulator\pcsfe.exe" "C:\AS400_Profiles\CTX_ITS_S1.ws"

image

I then proceeded to modify the medical application’s Command Line under the Location node of the application settings:

image

I confirmed that the new application is published:

image

Launched it on the Playbook and got the on screen keyboard:

image

Not the most elegant solution but the a valid workaround until someone rewrites this AS400 application’s GUI to include function key buttons.

No comments: