Thursday, October 18, 2012

BES (Blackberry Enterprise Server) 5.x services fail to start with event ID 7000 error: “The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.”

I ran into an interesting issue earlier this afternoon with a BES 5.x server where all of the users’ blackberries were no longer sending or receiving.  Reviewing the list of users in the Blackberry Administration Service showed the State as Failed to start:

image

What was odd was that upon a restart of the server, the following 5 errors would be logged in the system events:

image

The BlackBerry Administration Service - Native Code Container service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

The BlackBerry Controller service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

The BlackBerry Dispatcher service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

The BlackBerry MDS Connection Service service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

The BlackBerry Router service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

The BlackBerry Router service failed to start due to the following error:

The account name is invalid or does not exist, or the password is invalid for the account name specified.

image

Reviewing the services console shows that none of the BES services are started:

image

What’s strange is that you can manually start all of them except for the BlackBerry Mail Store Service because the start operation would begin but ultimately stuck at Starting.

As misleading as I found the error logged in the system events, I eventually figured out that the reason why the services weren’t starting was because the MAPI profile in the BlackBerry Server Configuration was still configured to point to an Exchange 2003 server that no longer exists because of a recent migration.  A simple update of the profile to point to the BES account on the new Exchange 2010 server corrected the problem:

image

image

image

Then starting the services corrected the problem:

image

image

This is probably not going to be a common issue that that administrators would normally run into but I hope for those who do would find this post.

1 comment:

Kelly Brueggemann said...

Glad it wasn’t a complicated fix. That’s exactly what was happening with a friend of mine’s BES. After spending a few minutes trying to figure out the problem, we discovered that the Exchange 2003 server that the MAPI profile was directing to was no longer up. We came up with the same fix and just updated the profile to direct to the new BES account in the new 2010 server. It would have been easy enough if we discovered the problem earlier.