Tuesday, July 27, 2010

GALGRAMMARGENERATOR.exe with the -a switch does not work as advertised

I’ve been trying to troubleshoot an ongoing issue at a client’s office when they try to execute “galgrammargenerator.exe -u” and it would not successfully complete. I will post more information on that when I get it resolved but while working with a Microsoft engineer, I found out that the “-a” switch doesn’t work as advertised. Here’s what the help says when you execute “galgrammargenerator.exe ?”:

-a: generate grammar scoped to the AddressList or OrganizationalUnit whose Identity is given in the parameter to this option.

Basically what I did with this switch was:

C:\Program Files\Microsoft\Exchange Server\Bin>GALGRAMMARGENERATOR.exe -u -a ou=users,ou=someOU,dc=someValue,dc=someDomain,dc=com

When I found that the problem I was encountering still existed even though I’ve limited the scope to a specific OU which did not contain the object that the logs were showing, I emailed the Microsoft engineer asking why. Here’s his response:

Also, I understand that you attempted to run the GalGrammarGenerator.exe tool with the /a switch in order to omit the "Auto Attendant", but the issue still occurs. First, the syntax you are using is correct. However, based on my test, even if an OU is specified by this switch, the DTMF map of all users within the organization will be updated.

So it looks like the switch doesn’t really work as advertised.

I’ll post back when I finally get the issue resolved.

No comments: