I ran into an interesting issue a few months back when a client with OCS 2007 R2 called our support services because all of the translation rules in his location profile simply stopped working. The problem was eventually escalated to me so I logged into the client’s network remotely and started looking around. It’s been more than 4 months so I couldn’t remember what I looked at before arrived to the solution so long story short, I eventually opened up Enterprise Voice Route Helper:
…and imported the routing data:
What I was basically looking for was to see if there was a normalization rule put at the top of the rules list that somehow caught all cases. I wasn’t able to spot anything out of the ordinary while scrolling down the list so I tried to perform and ad-hoc test with my cell number and this was where I got luck because I got the following message in the results:
The specified profile contains one or more rules that were invalid.
The profile cannot be used.
As shown in the screenshot above, there was a translation rule entered into the profile with an improper syntax and thus rendered the whole location profile unusable. This was an obvious typo the client made and I found it very interesting that the management console actually accepted it. Everything started working once I fixed the missing bracket.