Pages

Friday, January 17, 2014

VMware Horizon View 5.3 published Windows XP virtual desktop’s resolution does not expand to full screen in PCoIP

It’s been a while since I’ve worked with Windows XP virtual desktops but recently had to create a small linked-clone pool in VMware Horizon View 5.3 because a client had an application that was only compatible with IE 6.  I proceeded to do as I usually would to prepare the Windows XP as a master template by installing the VMware View agent then created the automated linked clone pool.  The provisioning finished as expected with the linked clone available for connecting but as I connected via the PCoIP protocol, I noticed that the resolution would not expand to the full monitor screen so I am presented with the following view of the desktop surrounded by space that is filled in as black:

image

image

Connecting via RDP works fine where the full screen is displayed properly with no black box.

The Remote Display Protocol settings I had for the desktop pool were as follows:

Max number of monitors: 2

Max resolution of any one monitor: 1920 x 1200

image

The dual monitor resolution I was using was set to 1920 x 1080:

image

As discovered in one of my previous posts:

Connecting to VMware View 5.1.2 desktop via PCoIP displays a black screen when in full screen
http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2013/11/connecting-to-vmware-view-512-desktop.html

The solution to my problem was to increase the number of monitors and resolution of any monitor as such:

Max number of monitors: 4

Max resolution of any one monitor: 2560 x 1600

image

A bit strange as the previous setting had a resolution that was larger than the resolution of the monitors I was using but this correct the problem so that the projected desktop would fill in the full screen.

No comments: