Pages

Friday, October 8, 2010

Installing VMware vCenter 4.1

While the installation for VMware vCenter 4.1 isn’t a whole lot different than vCenter 4.0 or even Virtual Center 2.5, I figure I’ll write a post describing the process since I documented one of my installs.

Some key items that we should be aware about are:

image

Here’s the link to the installation guide: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vsphere4/r41/vsp_41_esx_vc_installation_guide.pdf

Launch the installation and ensure that you right-click and choose Run as administrator.

image

Read the EULA.

image

Agree to the EULA.

image

Type in the information for the required fields.

image

If you created the ODBC connection correctly, you’ll be able to see it in the list.

http://terenceluk.blogspot.com/2010/09/reminder-vcenter-41-uses-64-bit-dsn.html

image

I was a bit annoyed to see that I had to log in as the service account in order to set the services to run as the service account. As shown in the screenshot below, I had logged in with my own account did not have an option to change it.

image

Select the directory you want the binaries to be installed into or leave it set to the default.

image

Choose standalone or linked mode.

image

Change the ports if required.

image

Select the proper settings for your environment.

image

Kick off the install.

image

The install will proceed from this point on.

image

image

image

image

Pretty straight forward.

No comments: