Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2022

Attempting to log into a Citrix ADC / NetScaler Gateway portal with Duo configured as MFA fails with: "Additional Information Required Please type your response below"

I recently had to perform routine patching of various Citrix ADC / NetScalers to ensure that they are up-to-date with the latest NS13.1 17.42.nc build (released Feb 23, 2022) and one HA pair in particular displayed the following message when the expected Duo MFA authentication prompt was supposed to be displayed:

Additional Information Required

Please type your response below

Attempting to enter your passcode or other information into the prompt leads to an authentication failure.

image

Searching on the internet displays the following Duo KB:

Why do I see the Citrix Gateway or Netscaler error "Additional Information Required" during Duo authentication?
https://help.duo.com/s/article/3506?language=en_US

… which did not apply for my situation and other forum posts suggest that the theme configured for the gateway was the culprit and that did not apply for this appliance either. What I ended up having to do was downgrade from the updated firmware:

NS13.1 17.42.nc

image

… back down to:

NS13.1 12.50.nc

image

Then I opened up a ticket with Duo and the response I received was the following:

Hi Terence,

Thanks for getting back to me.
As per the docs here:
https://duo.com/docs/citrix-netscaler
If you have Citrix Gateway build 12.1-51.16 or later with an "Advanced" or "Premium" edition license, or Citrix Gateway build 13.0-67.x or later with "Standard", "Advanced", or "Premium" edition license, try adding Duo 2FA with nFactor.
After updating past 13, you must use the nfactor version of the integration.
This involves one single change in the proxy.
the line that is:
[radius_server_iframe]
type=citrix_netscaler
will become:
[radius_server_iframe]
type=citrix_netscaler_rfwebui

The way the Citrix ADC / NetScaler is configured to integrate with Duo is as shown in the following Duo document:

Duo for Citrix Gateway Basic Primary Authentication
https://duo.com/docs/citrix-netscaler#:~:text=Log%20in%20to%20the%20Duo,information%20to%20complete%20your%20setup.

I’ve seen other methods such as configuring Duo as:

Duo for Citrix Gateway - Basic Secondary Authentication Instructions
https://duo.com/docs/citrix-netscaler-alt

… and the nFactor method as the support engineer provided but noticed that the nFactor article indicates that it suggests to “try” so I did not realize it was mandatory. I asked the support engineer to clarify this and the response I receive was:

Hi Terence,

Thanks for getting back to me.
You are not wrong, the wording is definitely ambiguous.
However in all the previous cases with this exact issue I have seen, I’m confident in the solution, given I know it works.
I suspect it was worded this way as there is some overlap where both will actually work for various versions/license editions, however given your experience you do not seem to be in the overlap given it is not working.
Please follow through and make the change and I expect the issue will be resolved.
Please let me know if this helps.
Have a great day!
Kind regards,

Raphael

I haven’t actually tried switching over the nFactor yet but will do so and update this post in the future. Hope this helps anyone who may encounter the same issue as I have.

3 comments:

Matt said...

Any luck with nFactor, Terence? I ran in to the same problem going from NS12.1 to NS13.1.

Dennis said...

Hello Terrence, I ran into the same issue resolved it by taking the steps:
1. Update the DUO Config file to
[radius_server_iframe]
type=citrix_netscaler_rfwebui and restartred the DUO Service

2.On the AD Changed the Theme to RfWebUI

3. Changing session timeout policies to 720
https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/415950-netscaler-login-looping-back-to-login-page/page/2/

Matt said...

I got around to trying this again and ran in to a problem. I followed Dennis' steps above. After logging on to the Gateway, I received a StoreFront message about "unable to complete your request."

This was due to "&& REQ.HTTP.HEADER Referer EXISTS" was part of the Session Policy syntax. Once I removed that part of the string, I was able to log on and launch desktops.

The problem I'm having right now is I cannot enable the Content-Security-Policy header checkbox on my Citrix Gateway settings without breaking Duo. Duo does not load with the CSP checkbox enabled.