Thursday, August 4, 2011

Unable to open Exchange Server 2010’s Exchange Management Console with the error: “The attempt to connect to using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed...”

Ran into an interesting error when trying to create an Exchange Server 2010 mailbox for a user object where I would constantly encounter the following error:

The attempt to connect to using "Kerberos" authentication failed: Connecting to remote server failed with the following error message : The client cannot connect to the destination specified in the request. Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Consult the logs and documentation for the WS-Management service running on the destination, most commonly IIS or WinRM. If the destination is the WinRM service, run the following command on the destination to analyze and configure the WinRM service: “winrm quickconfig”. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic.


The first thought that came to my mind was to check the Exchange services and when I did, all of them were already up:


After searching on the internet and coming across the following 2 links:

… none of the purposed solutions worked but through reading the The Exchange Team Blog, I realized that this might have something to do with IIS.  Restarting the Exchange services during office hours was definitely out of the question but I had to get this working because I needed to create the user’s mailbox.  After thinking about what options I had for a bit, I realized I could probably restart the World Wide Web Publishing Service quickly and so I did:


Once the World Wide Web Publishing Service successfully restarted, the Exchange Management Console was now able to load the organization:



IP 550 said...

I think this can be the problem of connectivity with domain...may be the problem of connectivity of remote server you should have to check on both of the place...

cisco 504g

Anonymous said...

I have exacly the same problem, i restart the IIS and the console comes back, but some minutes and the console will down again...if you have any solution, pls tell me.

Anonymous said...

I ran thru a number of suggestions that I found on other sites, but I always found that we had the server already configured the way they suggested. I was left with restarting Exchange and/or IIS when I found your blog. Sounded like a Hail Mary pass to me but weighed against the potential negative impact of restarting Exchange or IIS - I gave it a shot and Surprise! - it worked. So simple - thanks.

Anonymous said...

Terrence, THANK YOU for posting this. I reset one of the virtual directories to see if HTTP/RPC was fixed on our clients and I got the same error. I almost threw up my breakfast. WWW was turned off. Once I started the service, bam. Thank you!!

Anonymous said...

I had this problem with a 303 error and ended up having to
Basically re-create the powershell VD and reset the poweshell appPool. Then reset all of the Exchange virtual directories and setup the redirect again.

Amministratore said...

Thanks, I had the same problem too, I was really worried and with your post I could resolve

Joery said...

Great, Works for me too!! Thx a lot!!

Chris A said...

You are a living legend! Sorted out a problem i had been working on for hours in less than 30seconds. Much love!

Anonymous said...

Works for me too.
Great job!

Anonymous said...

Thank you, it worked for me!
I am going home now!

Silvia said...

Many many it is life and my holidays are saved!!!

Anonymous said...

You rock. This pulled me out of a jam and saved my beating heart.

Anonymous said...


The proposed solution worked.

Anonymous said...

This solution didn't work for me, but you got me thinking. My issue was caused by a company wide power cut. I looked for all sorts of Kerberos issues in the logs of my domain controllers and exchange server. Then I suddenly remembered something from my Windows 98 days.....I power cycled the netlogon service and bingo it all worked. Thanks for getting the Grey matter working at 5:00am in the morning

Anonymous said...

Great work - this fixed my problems

Anonymous said...


I've tried removing the mention regkeys. Tried reseting IIS, rebooted the server and all did not work for me.
Just decided to delete my profile on the server, relogged with another admin user, used the simple method "advanced System Settings" - User profiles Settings - Clicked on my profile and hit delete.
After logging on again an starting the EMC everyting worked fine again.

Anonymous said...

thanks it works!

Anonymous said...

Many thanks, worked for me to , reset password on admin account and created new profile all now back up and running .

~EdDy~ said...

its not working for me, please help with this error message
it was running the command 'discover exchange server' -useWia$true - suppresserror$true -currentversion '14.2 build 247.5

please email me if any solution at

Muhammad Iqbal said...

This usually happens when you change the "computer name" where ADDS installed or MS Exchange is installed. Basically after changing computer name the Administrator Profile causes this issue.
Follow below steps, it will fix the problem
1- Stay Logged in with Current Administrator Account
2- Create a new Admin Account (any name) this Admin account must be member of "Domain Admins" group
3- Log off with Current administrator account
4- Log in with new created admin account
5- While logged in with new admin account - go to regedit and delete administrator entry
6- Delete Windows Profile from User's folder or rename to different name
7- Logged back in with Administrator account again
This will create a brand new administrator profile on registry and in User folder