Thursday, December 15, 2011

Unable to find a user to enable for Microsoft Lync Server 2010 even though they’re not enabled


You’re trying to enable a user for Microsoft Lync Server 2010 but cannot find their account listed as you try search for them in Microsoft LyncServer 2010’s Control Panel:


You double check to ensure that their account is listed in Active Directory Users and Computers:



What I didn’t initially notice was that the account as shown in the screenshot above and below:


… was that the problematic account actually had an Office Communications Server SIP address. I didn’t notice this till I started writing this blog post so I proceeded to open ADSIedit to have a look at the msRTCSIP- attributes of the account because I suspected that LCS or OCS may have been deployed in this environment at one point:


I made a slight mistake with the screenshot above so take my word for it when I say the account on the right, which was an account that was not enabled for Lync, did not have any msRTCSIP- attributes. 

The first attempt I made was to simply set the msRTCSIP-UserEnabled attribute to False:


… but this didn’t fix the issue and setting the attribute to Not Set didn’t either. 

The next attempt I made was to try and delete value in the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress but as I tried to hit apply, I got the error:

Operation failed. Error code: 0x57
The parameter is incorrect.

00000057: LdapErr: DSID-0C090A85, comment: error in attribute conversation operation, data 0, vece



The reason for the error above was because I simply deleted the value in the attribute’s field and the proper way to remove that attribute is to actually hit the Clear button which will automatically put the value <not set> value into the field as such:


The probably still persisted even after setting the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress to a <not set> value so I proceeded to do the same for the attributes:

  1. msRTCSIP-ArchivingEnabled
  2. msRTCSIP-OptionFlags
  3. msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer

Once I cleared all of these msRTCPSIP to <not set> the account now showed up in the list of accounts that could be enabled for Lync Server 2010:



Frip said...

I have a similar problem. I can't find users in the Lync Control Panel. I can find them with get-csaduser or get get-csuser. I can also enable them true the shell.

I hoped this was the solution to my problem, but after the migration from R2 the newly added users don't have any msRTCSIP values. I think i don't have the right permissions???

LyncLover said...

Thanks for the tips; I ran into the same issue with client that had deployed OCS but did not want to spend the time to merges OCS R2 and Lync Topologies. Had to run a Get-CSLeagacyUser | move-legacyuser -force and it modified the AD values as you described above.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for tip, saved me some time!

Anonymous said...

thank you match! this steps help me

Anonymous said...

Thank You very much!
Had a OCS 2007 long time ago which changed the attributes.
According to that the Lync server assumed, the user is located on the OCE (which was no longer existent).

Ben Harding said...

Thanks! This worked for me. Saved a call to Microsoft :)

Anonymous said...

It works for me, you saved my day
Thank you

Unknown said...

Worked like charm

Thanks from Chile!!!!!

Anonymous said...

This worked PERFECTLY! Thank you SO very much!

DJ said...

Did not have the exact same issue but removing those attributes in ADSIedit worked for me and allowing at least 15 minutes for replication. I enabled the user that I was previously unable to find in the Lync Control Panel.

Unknown said...

You saved me a lot of work. Cleared up the issue very quickly!

Anonymous said...

If you have a lot to change then PowerShell is your best friend here

get-aduser -filter {msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer -eq "the old server string"} | set-aduser -clear msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress, msRTCSIP-PrimaryHomeServer, msRTCSIP-UserEnabled, msRTCSIP-OptionFlags

Serge said...

Merci pour ces conseils,ça fonctionne parfaitement.

I'm sorry,i'm French,nobody's perfect :-)

Anonymous said...

Thanks a lot, This really helped.
Saved me from logging a call to MS.

Anonymous said...


Your page has saved me a lot of time. A quick search on Google led me here, and cleaning the msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress entry was the solution for me to be able to activate the account.

Thanks a lot.

Steve said...

Thanks for the post - same thing as above poster for me... old msRTCSIP-PrimaryUserAddress values were keeping users from appearing in the list.

Don said...

Thanks for the post, this resolved this issue for me as well! I had been trying to figure this issue out for a couple days while the Lync Admin was on holiday.